Dreadlocks and braids Anything and everything

Do both hairstyles belong to black people or not?

Braids are just simply taking three or more strands of a and twisting them together in a pattern. Dreadlocks, however are just letting hair matt itself up in knots they are more semipermanent. During the locking process, hair strands coil around each other and FUSE together

and YES these hairstyles are African hairstyles, but regarding braids.... It depends if its like a 3 or 4 strand braid then its universal but if its more then its African. (I know this because i live in South Africa, (but my race is not black, i see the people here.... And also, South Africa is a country that was invaded by Britan, so naturally theres alot of Brits here))

First, I don't really understand how an hairstyle or a style/cultural trait would belong to an ethnicity or, worst, to a colour (which doesn't mean anything) specifically. What kind of nonsense is it except for some whiny crybabies that want to claim anything because they are poor uprooted folks?

Now, why would someone assume that dreads are "African"? And what would that even mean? Again, it shows very much a claim from people who lost their root and culture. Africa is huge so would dreadlocks come from Egypt? Maghreb? South Africa? Ethiopia? Western countries of Africa?
Couldn't it have appeared in several places at the same or at different time? Like, would it be so weird that it existed in some Indian states 2 or 3000 years ago? What about Mesoamerica?

Same for braids. Wasn't it already a thing in Europe more than 2500 years ago like in ancient Greece at least? More generally, as long as you had long hair, wouldn't it be legitimate to think that people braided their hair would it be only because it is more convenient?
I can hardly think that Gauls, Germanic tribes or, later, Vikings/Scandinavians didn't braid their hair.

First, I don't really understand how an hairstyle or a style/cultural trait would belong to an ethnicity or, worst, to a colour (which doesn't mean anything) specifically. What kind of nonsense is it except for some whiny crybabies that want to claim anything because they are poor uprooted folks?

Now, why would someone assume that dreads are "African"? And what would that even mean? Again, it shows very much a claim from people who lost their root and culture. Africa is huge so would dreadlocks come from Egypt? Maghreb? South Africa? Ethiopia? Western countries of Africa?
Couldn't it have appeared in several places at the same or at different time? Like, would it be so weird that it existed in some Indian states 2 or 3000 years ago? What about Mesoamerica?

Same for braids. Wasn't it already a thing in Europe more than 2500 years ago like in ancient Greece at least? More generally, as long as you had long hair, wouldn't it be legitimate to think that people braided their hair would it be only because it is more convenient?
I can hardly think that Gauls, Germanic tribes or, later, Vikings/Scandinavians didn't braid their hair.

Yes, thats why is specifically said "IT DEPENDS ON THE TYPE OF BRAID (3 , 4 strands or more)"
Secondly, The practice of wearing braids and dreadlocks in Africa dates back to 3,000 BC in the Sahara Desert. It has been commonly thought that other cultures influenced the dreadlock tradition in Africa. The Kikuyu and Somali wear braided and locked hairstyles, Check it on Google if you want to verify.

And YES! hairstyles and similar stuff DO definitely belong to different ethnicities,

Not all of Africa is poor, If you have a friend from south africa or nigeria, and other beautifuulllll African countries then you'lll see how rich it is, yeah sure its not as rich as USA or europe..... But its not as poor as people make it seem. Why do you think soo many Britts and dutch live here in South Africa??? Im sure they wouldnt exchange GREAT BRITAN for a poor, uprooted country 😂 You should google the afrikaaners or the dutch in south africa. They all love this country

Yes, thats why is specifically said "IT DEPENDS ON THE TYPE OF BRAID (3 , 4 strands or more)"
Dunno why you are talking about that. I wasn't responding to you.

Secondly, The practice of wearing braids and dreadlocks in Africa dates back to 3,000 BC in the Sahara Desert.
Again, tradition in Africa... but you talk about Sahara, again like if it wasn't the size of modern Russia. Where in Sahara? In Egypt? What does it has to do with Subsaharian Africans claiming the paternity of dreadlocks in that case?

It has been commonly thought that other cultures influenced the dreadlock tradition in Africa.
Ok, where? When? How does that make them "the first" or how does that make it specifically "African" more than Mongolian?

The Kikuyu and Somali wear braided and locked hairstyles
Ok, but when? Nowadays? How is that making it "belongs" to Somalians and not, let's say, to Canadians?
Plus that is East Africa, not "Africa", yet, I am ready to bet that this trend to whine about dreadlocks being "Africans" comes from Afroamericans that are mostly descending from West Africans, something like 4 or 5000 km away from Somali at least.

Not all of Africa is poor, .
That's relative. For Western Europe, surely most if not all Africa is poor... That being said, for an average Swiss, I'm filthy poor as well.

Why do you think soo many Britts and dutch live here in South Africa???
New life, opportunities and resources, or sometimes promises of those. South Africa wouldn't be what it is without those people who wanted to exploit resources in the area or make money with activities that are kind of related. South Africa also used to be at the perfect spot to refill resources when the silk road through Constantinople got cut off and Portugese discovered the alternative way, passing around Africa.

Im sure they wouldnt exchange GREAT BRITAN for a poor, uprooted country
Actually, most of people could probably never have afforded such a travel. Also, I never talked about uprooted country but uprooted people, which is the case of many afroamericans and some maghebans or africans in Europe who didn't assimilate well thanks to multiculturalism.

IYou should google the afrikaaners or the dutch in south africa. They all love this country
Emigration rate doesn't say the same. Also Afrikaners are the descendants of Dutch/Germans, so I guess you are saying Afrikaners or the English?

Nobody ‘owns’ a hairstyle, it’s a form of human expression anyone can do :3

Nobody ‘owns’ a hairstyle, it’s a form of human expression anyone can do :3
Yes 100% but it definitely comes from a certain county/ethnicity
Like for example, Rice is mainly asian (specifically South asian and east asia) But it doesnt mean that only asians eat it....

And you may think that im saying this because im owning this hairstyle cuz i live in SA, but my race is not african, im just stating the facts..Check Google if u dont believe.....

Dunno why you are talking about that. I wasn't responding to you.

Secondly, The practice of wearing braids and dreadlocks in Africa dates back to 3,000 BC in the Sahara Desert.
Again, tradition in Africa... but you talk about Sahara, again like if it wasn't the size of modern Russia. Where in Sahara? In Egypt? What does it has to do with Subsaharian Africans claiming the paternity of dreadlocks in that case?

It has been commonly thought that other cultures influenced the dreadlock tradition in Africa.
Ok, where? When? How does that make them "the first" or how does that make it specifically "African" more than Mongolian?

The Kikuyu and Somali wear braided and locked hairstyles
Ok, but when? Nowadays? How is that making it "belongs" to Somalians and not, let's say, to Canadians?
Plus that is East Africa, not "Africa", yet, I am ready to bet that this trend to whine about dreadlocks being "Africans" comes from Afroamericans that are mostly descending from West Africans, something like 4 or 5000 km away from Somali at least.

Not all of Africa is poor, .
That's relative. For Western Europe, surely most if not all Africa is poor... That being said, for an average Swiss, I'm filthy poor as well.

Why do you think soo many Britts and dutch live here in South Africa???
New life, opportunities and resources, or sometimes promises of those. South Africa wouldn't be what it is without those people who wanted to exploit resources in the area or make money with activities that are kind of related. South Africa also used to be at the perfect spot to refill resources when the silk road through Constantinople got cut off and Portugese discovered the alternative way, passing around Africa.

Im sure they wouldnt exchange GREAT BRITAN for a poor, uprooted country
Actually, most of people could probably never have afforded such a travel. Also, I never talked about uprooted country but uprooted people, which is the case of many afroamericans and some maghebans or africans in Europe who didn't assimilate well thanks to multiculturalism.

IYou should google the afrikaaners or the dutch in south africa. They all love this country
Emigration rate doesn't say the same. Also Afrikaners are the descendants of Dutch/Germans, so I guess you are saying Afrikaners or the English?

Yes i understand, but if South Africa was not a good country then they would obviously go back to Britan
Theres a race in South AFrica called "colourds" They come from a very mixed ethnicity called "khoisan" and they have alot of african and mongolian blood, they r very mixed people, Maybe you would understand it if you Google it

and yes but no one thinks of Switzerland or swiss people ever being poor, its known as a very wealthy country unlike the entire africa
Yes both, the afrikaaners and english (same but the afrikaaners just live in SA)

Editado por Arabian_Princess .

And you may think that im saying this because im owning this hairstyle cuz i live in SA, but my race is not african, im just stating the facts..Check Google if u dont believe.....
I don't know why you feel so involved in it whereas neither my first answer or the answer from Kale was directly adressed to you. You are not the center of the world, not even of this forum... Same for your ethnicity, almost nobody cares about and there are not many people who think that SA = "black" only, especially when your pseudonym is "arabian"...

Yes i understand, but if South Africa was not a good country then they would obviously go back to Britan
Theres a race in South AFrica called "colourds" They come from a very mixed ethnicity called "khoisan" and they have alot of african and mongolian blood, they r very mixed people, Maybe you would understand it if you Google it

and yes but no one thinks of Switzerland or swiss people ever being poor, its known as a very wealthy country unlike the entire africa
Yes both, the afrikaaners and english (same but the afrikaaners just live in SA)

- What does it has to do? Did I say that SA is a shithole or anything? No. You are the one talking about it, and since you are talking about it: so called whites are leaving your country more than they immigrate to it. There is obviously something that is repulsive for at least a part of them there (SA has been sadly renowned for what boers have to endure there).
- Khoisan are the indigenous inhabitants of the area, prior to Bantu expansion throughout Africa, you don't need to say that they are admixed since, if they got admixed, they were still there before both Bantus or Europeans, and yet, maybe not everywhere. Mongols didn't go to Africa (and especially not in the South...) the same way that they didn't come to Brittany despite the claim of some people that some Bretons are descending from Mongols.
"colourds" is just a name in South Africa... You have Métisses in France, especially in Mayotte, Réunion island... or Mestizos and Mulatos in Latin America. Nothing exceptional here, except that the ones in Latin America are funnier, in my opinion.
- Saying that all of Africa is poor is, I will repeat, relative. SA certainly isn't poor compared to other African countries, but compared to Western Europe, it's day and night unless you are yourself from a higher caste than average (which I don't doubt you are).

I don't know why you feel so involved in it whereas neither my first answer or the answer from Kale was directly adressed to you. You are not the center of the world, not even of this forum... Same for your ethnicity, almost nobody cares about and there are not many people who think that SA = "black" only, especially when your pseudonym is "arabian"...

- What does it has to do? Did I say that SA is a shithole or anything? No. You are the one talking about it, and since you are talking about it: so called whites are leaving your country more than they immigrate to it. There is obviously something that is repulsive for at least a part of them there (SA has been sadly renowned for what boers have to endure there).
- Khoisan are the indigenous inhabitants of the area, prior to Bantu expansion throughout Africa, you don't need to say that they are admixed since, if they got admixed, they were still there before both Bantus or Europeans, and yet, maybe not everywhere. Mongols didn't go to Africa (and especially not in the South...) the same way that they didn't come to Brittany despite the claim of some people that some Bretons are descending from Mongols.
"colourds" is just a name in South Africa... You have Métisses in France, especially in Mayotte, Réunion island... or Mestizos and Mulatos in Latin America. Nothing exceptional here, except that the ones in Latin America are funnier, in my opinion.
- Saying that all of Africa is poor is, I will repeat, relative. SA certainly isn't poor compared to other African countries, but compared to Western Europe, it's day and night unless you are yourself from a higher caste than average (which I don't doubt you are).

Firstly, How can you doubt my ethnicity/race and call it a pseudonym???? Dozens of people here on penpal gate have asked me whether im black or not so clearly majority of people dont really know south africa, I posted a forum msg, its for EVERYONE not only for you.
Ive told so many people here on penpal gate about my story (about my ethnicity) and they were very interested in it, i love listening to peoples storyies about their ancestory and lineage, so i love to share mine too, My username is Arabian_Princess because my race is Arab, my great grandma was an indian and a few others in my family, but majority of them are arabs, so obviously i would lean more towards the arab side.

Secondly, "so-called whites" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH , whats a white in your eyes? The Afrikaners predominantly stem from Dutch, French and German immigrants who settled in the Cape, in South Africa, during the second half of the 17th century and the first half of the 18th, so just cuz they live in another country theyre not whites?🤔🤔

Fourthly, The whites are leaving south africa???? are you serious? Lol, they love south africa and they treasure it, if you dont belive me check this song out (the afrikaaners and boers made this for "their" land south africa)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf_BIm2SndE

This is a videowhere a South African Answers Web’s Most Searched Questions about South Africa i highly recommend that you check it out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axIDyffcu04

Thirdly, i live in south africa so i would naturally know about it more than you, i know what a coulourd is and they are a very mixed african group, the original colourds were khoisan, but now there are a very little minority of khoisan because the khoisan got mixed with the afrikaaners and boers and they became "colourds"

Two main white groups emigrated to South Africa: first the Boers came, mainly from Holland, Then the English arrived, drawn initially by the territory’s strategic importance and then by the discovery of diamonds and gold and the prospects for wealth they promised.
The boers and the english had diffrences and the english started calling themselves afrikaaners and the boers are called boers.

And this is a english difference vocab video maybe you can understand south africa abit more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSrMfBFj5Fk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpVmt8LwxGk

Again, you show no understanding of what I try to convey and jump on the smallest reason to feel outraged. I won't bother to read further and the first sentences and 1-2 that just are absolute no,n sense and tell you that I didn't doubt your ethnicities, but "Arabian Princess" is a pseudonym.
Furthermore, I have to say one more time that I never intended to answer your first intervention here. I only answered your responses to me, becausse for some reason, you felt targeted or something.

So called whites is like so called blacks. You call everything by a colour or an ethnicity as if it was the prime factor defining you or someone. Except that """white""" means aboslutely nothing just like """black""" but a colour. It is neither a "race" (which holds no biological sense because nobody is able to define them properly and there is a huge taboo to work on this matter) or an ethnicity. I can tell you that I am Breton, and I am already different from French, so putting me in the same basket with Germanic or Iberic people is an absolute non sense. Same goes, obviously, for mixing all Africans together.

A song isn't a statistic. The net immigration for """whites""" in SA is negative.

Two main white groups emigrated to South Africa: first the Boers came, mainly from Holland, Then the English arrived, drawn initially by the territory’s strategic importance and then by the discovery of diamonds and gold and the prospects for wealth they promised.

THanks for repeating what I said, proving my point about you not even trying to understand or read.

Ps: remember that we are not supposed to talk about you or your country here.

Editado por Lianshen .