Difference between European spanish and Latino Spanish Español

I study Spanish, and some people ask me what "type" of Spanish I study ... It seems to me that there is the European Spanish, the Latin American Spanish, and maybe other types of spanish ...?
I study European Spanish, because Spain has a border with my country ...

But I thought about it well, and I would like to understand why there are several types of Spanish ... What are the differences and why are there so many?

In times of the colonies, Spanish was spread across the whole Latinoamérica which leaded to variations in the way different regions speak due to the big distance among this places and the country were the language originally came from: Spain.

That aside, each country has its own history and the way they speak Spanish might have been influenced in a different way.

The third reason is true for any language: Spanish is in constant evolution and it's happening in each country simultaneously and in parallel to the others.

This is so true. I am learning Spanish and I’m learning Mexican Spanish. Which is totally different from Spain Spanish. Or Puerto Rico Spanish. Or Columbian Spanish.

My friend is from Mexico and explained it is like Australia and the UK. For the most part we can understand one another. But some words will be spelled different in each country and some phrases are unique to each country. The core of the language is still to same so a Spaniard would be able to speak to a Mexican with very little problem, but certain slang would not be understood.

In times of the colonies, Spanish was spread across the whole Latinoamérica which leaded to variations in the way different regions speak due to the big distance among this places and the country were the language originally came from: Spain.

That aside, each country has its own history and the way they speak Spanish might have been influenced in a different way.

The third reason is true for any language: Spanish is in constant evolution and it's happening in each country simultaneously and in parallel to the others.

When I think about it, it's true.
There are also different types of French in the world: Canadian, Belgian, Swiss, West Indian, Haitian or Louisianese French.

Can you give some examples of differences between the different types of spanish ?

This is so true. I am learning Spanish and I’m learning Mexican Spanish. Which is totally different from Spain Spanish. Or Puerto Rico Spanish. Or Columbian Spanish.

My friend is from Mexico and explained it is like Australia and the UK. For the most part we can understand one another. But some words will be spelled different in each country and some phrases are unique to each country. The core of the language is still to same so a Spaniard would be able to speak to a Mexican with very little problem, but certain slang would not be understood.

So does that mean that the types of Spanish aren't that different in the end ?

So does that mean that the types of Spanish aren't that different in the end ?

Spanish dialects are basically completely intelligible. You might face some little struggles trying to understand through someone's accent or find a couple of words that you don't know but overall, it's the same.

When I think about it, it's true.
There are also different types of French in the world: Canadian, Belgian, Swiss, West Indian, Haitian or Louisianese French.

Can you give some examples of differences between the different types of spanish ?

I can give some examples:

In the Caribe they tend to pronounce 'r' like 'l';
Were I live we pronounce both 'll' and 'y' as the English 'sh';
Chileans tend to speak very fast so it can be harder to understand.

So, that's for pronunciation and accent, then we all have unique slang, words and peculiarities.

Well, even in Spain there're different accents. For example, people from Sevilla, Cádiz or Murcia are difficult to understand sometimes for people from other parts of the country.
CCElias have explained some differences, and I have another too. In Spain we have different sounds for 'z'/'c' and 's' and they don't. For example, the word 'cereza'. We pronounce it as /θereθa/, but they say /seresa/.
Another very common difference is the 'Spanglish'. Specially in Mexico, there're a lot of words adapted directly from English.
And another problem. Some words have different meanings, it depends of the country. For example, 'Concha' has for CCElias and for me a completely different meaning.
But well, there's a no a 'best Spanish'. In each country usually says theirs is better than the others, obviously. My advice is you should learn as accurate as possible for your destiny, but if you learn Spanish, in general you will be able to understand everyone. I knew two Italian girls who learned Spanish in Italy with a teacher from Venezuela. The mix was so curious!
Finally, I recommend this song for you. They explain the differences very well!

https://youtu.be/eyGFz-zIjHE

Well, even in Spain there're different accents. For example, people from Sevilla, Cádiz or Murcia are difficult to understand sometimes for people from other parts of the country.
CCElias have explained some differences, and I have another too. In Spain we have different sounds for 'z'/'c' and 's' and they don't. For example, the word 'cereza'. We pronounce it as /θereθa/, but they say /seresa/.
Another very common difference is the 'Spanglish'. Specially in Mexico, there're a lot of words adapted directly from English.
And another problem. Some words have different meanings, it depends of the country. For example, 'Concha' has for CCElias and for me a completely different meaning.
But well, there's a no a 'best Spanish'. In each country usually says theirs is better than the others, obviously. My advice is you should learn as accurate as possible for your destiny, but if you learn Spanish, in general you will be able to understand everyone. I knew two Italian girls who learned Spanish in Italy with a teacher from Venezuela. The mix was so curious!
Finally, I recommend this song for you. They explain the differences very well!

https://youtu.be/eyGFz-zIjHE

Thank you ! 😁

Hola Buen día a todos y en especial al que estudia Español de España. Me parece que es la mejor opción, pues es el idioma madre de todos los que vivimos en América, el problema para nosotros, que a veces no entendemos, como latinoamericanos, al español de la madre patria es porque ellos dan una especial entonación y dependiendo de su ubicacion un acento diferente. De todas maneras tienen buena ortografía.
Acá en América estamos influenciados por el ingles, sobretodo en Mexico y Puerto Rico y algun País de América Central y usan muchas palabras en ingles, escritas como "suenan" y a veces con otro significado, hay muchos ejemplos. A veces la ortografía no es muy correcta y entonces es muy difícil entender. Un posteo de un mexicano en facebook, no lo entendemos por el uso de la mayoría de palabras cotidianas que no estan en el diccionario y cambian según la moda.
Vivo en Uruguay, muy chiquito, en 100 km de distancia ya la gente habla distinto y mucho mejor, nosotros estamos influenciados por los "Porteños" de BsAs, que estan muy próximos y hablamos mas parecido que a gente de nuestro país.

Hola Buen día a todos y en especial al que estudia Español de España. Me parece que es la mejor opción, pues es el idioma madre de todos los que vivimos en América, el problema para nosotros, que a veces no entendemos, como latinoamericanos, al español de la madre patria es porque ellos dan una especial entonación y dependiendo de su ubicacion un acento diferente. De todas maneras tienen buena ortografía.
Acá en América estamos influenciados por el ingles, sobretodo en Mexico y Puerto Rico y algun País de América Central y usan muchas palabras en ingles, escritas como "suenan" y a veces con otro significado, hay muchos ejemplos. A veces la ortografía no es muy correcta y entonces es muy difícil entender. Un posteo de un mexicano en facebook, no lo entendemos por el uso de la mayoría de palabras cotidianas que no estan en el diccionario y cambian según la moda.
Vivo en Uruguay, muy chiquito, en 100 km de distancia ya la gente habla distinto y mucho mejor, nosotros estamos influenciados por los "Porteños" de BsAs, que estan muy próximos y hablamos mas parecido que a gente de nuestro país.
Buenas.

Estoy, respetuosamente, en desacuerdo. La "mejor opción" en términos neutros sería justamente el español neutro. Es una forma de hablar en español en que se pretende acudir a términos y pronunciaciones entendibles por todos.

Ya después, en lo particular, la "mejor opción" sería intentar nutrirse del dialecto hispano que se hable en los países a los que apuntemos.